This article is in replacement of older articles. Previous articles may have had additional steps that have been determined to no longer be needed. If you feel that a step is missing or some clarification can be done to the steps provided please request a content change. NOTE: Some android devices have a safe mode. If this is engaged it will prevent the GoPayment icon from appearing. A full reset and/or pulling the battery out will solve this situation.
1. The reader will not connect if you’re on a call. Hang up and try again.
2. For device compatibility issues see Is my device compatible with the GoPayment reader?
Note: Your service plan provider may have their version of an app store but may not have the latest version of GoPayment available. Please ensure you are using the official Apple App Store or Play Store (Android Market).
3. Clean out the audio jack with compressed air to remove any lint, dust, or dirt which may cause interference.
4. Make sure you are swiping the card correctly. Swipe the card in a smooth, even motion. If you have the Grey card reader, the magnetic strip of the card should be down and facing away from GoPayment. If you have the White card reader, the magnetic strip of the card should be down and facing Intuit by Roam Data.
5. If you’re getting an error while swiping the card, try another card -- the magnetic strip may be damaged.
6. Try plugging in headphones and play music or other audio to verify the audio jack is working properly.
7. Check for and install any available updates to the device.
- Apple Device: Check for updates by syncing with iTunes, or on the device go to Settings > General > Software Update. iOS will automatically check for available updates. Detailed Instructions.
- Android Device: Steps vary since there are so many different models and manufacturers. In general you should be able to select Menu>Settings>System Updates or Menu>Settings>About Phone/Device>System Updates. You may have to connect it to a PC and use the manufacturer provided sync software to install updates.
8. Restart the mobile device.
- Apple Device: Hold down the home and power buttons at the same time until you see the white Apple symbol.
- Android Device: Hold down the power button until you get a list of options. Select Restart.
- Motorola Razr: Press the power button and the volume button at the same time.
9. Apple Device: make sure Restrictions on the device are Off. Go to Settings > General > Restrictions > Turn restrictions Off. If it says Enable Restrictions then it is off.
10. Turn off TTY mode.
- Apple Device: Go to Settings > Phone > set TTY to Off
- Android Device: Go to Settings > Call Settings > TTY Mode. Set to Disabled. Alternatively you can click the Call button>Menu>Call Settings>TTY mode and set it to Disabled.
We apologize if your device is not currently supported. We do our best to test and support the many devices that hit the market each month. Please send the following information to GoPaymentFeedback@Intuit.com to help us determine which devices to support:
- Device make and model. i.e. HTC Evo 3D, Samsung Galaxy S II, Motorola Droid Bionic, etc.
- Operating System version. This can be found under Settings>About Phone/Device
- Card Reader Color (white or grey)
- What happens when you try to use it? Does it not connect? If an error occurs what does it say?
Recommendations from agents:
1. Enable Java on an Android device for use of GoPayment.
2. Applications such as a volume booster can also affect the reader function. If the steps above do not work please disable or delete any apps that change the volume on the phone.
3. On any Apple device: Select Settings>General>Restrictions>Enable Restrictions> Put or Create Code> Location or Location Services> On>GoPayment (below Location Services)> On
4. Check the sound settings and make sure sound is not set to silent or vibrate, in any mode.