If the problem occurs in every browser version on your system or network, the security configurations are likely causing the problem.
Since Internet Explorer is the default browser for QuickBooks Desktop and other applications, clearing the cache may resolve persistent issues.
Clear the cache, configure Internet Explorer and adjust security settings
Clear the Internet Explorer temp files, cookies and browsing history
There are five key items that should be cleared from the Internet Explorer cache:
Clearing the Cookies and Temporary Files
- Cookies - These are small files that keep track of web activity and send browser info to the website being accessed. These files are always replaced once that site is accessed again.
- Temporary Files - These files contain web page configuration information as the web pages are accessed. These files are always replaced once that site is accessed again.
- SSL State - This is certificate information for secure connections made to websites. This data is not replaced unless it is cleared out first so corrupted certificates will remain until cleared.
- Form Data - Saved information that IE uses to predict entry in web forms. This can inadvertently contaminate data entry.
- InPrivate Filtering data - (optional to remove) This field contains data that is sent out when accessing certain sites. Clearing this field will prevent improper redirect as well as other issues.
Clearing the SSL State
- Go to the Tools drop-down or icon.
- Click on Internet Options. (or press [CTRL] [SHIFT] [DEL] while in the browser.)
- Under the General tab (default) go to the Browsing History section and click on the Delete button.
- Check the boxes for Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and Form Data then click the Delete button to clear those items.
NOTE: If the Temporary Internet files have not been deleted recently, this could take several minutes.
IMPORTANT: Be sure the Preserve Favorites website data is UNCHECKED; otherwise, the problematic data will remain.
- Go to the Tools drop-down or icon.
- Click on Internet Options.
- Select the Content tab.
- Click on the Clear SSL State button.
- Click OK at the confirmation window to complete.
If the issue still persists, follow the links provided:
If the problem is isolated to a particular system(s) or network but does not happen when attempted on other systems (e.g. home or neighboring computer, systems outside of the network), you will need to consult your IT technician to further determine the cause of the specific issue.
Problem occurs in Internet Explorer and not in other browsers
If merchant service features work correctly in other browsers (e.g. Chrome, FireFox, Safari, etc...) but continue to fail in Internet Explorer, this indicates the problem is exclusive to this browser. If the above steps have been unsuccessful, the following steps are recommended and will resolve any remaining issues. These steps will remove all saved data and customizations entered in Internet Explorer!
Export Favorites to a file on the desktop
- Click File then select Import and Export...
- Select Export to a file then click Next.
- Check Favorites then click Next.
- Click on the Favorites folder to highlight it, then click Next.
- Click Browse, select Desktop, then click Save.
- Click Export then click Finish.
Reset Internet Explorer
- Click on Tools then select Internet Options.
- Click the Advanced tab, then click Reset...
- Check Delete personal settings then click Reset.
- Once you see a screen similar to the one below, click Close.
- You will see either a box pop-up or a yellow information bar appear at the bottom of Internet Explorer. Follow the directions to complete the reset.
If the problem continues to occur in Internet Explorer only and other browser continue to work correctly, you will need to contact your IT technician for further assistance, Since QuickBooks uses Internet Explorer exclusively for internet connections, this will likely impact your ability to process transactions in QuickBooks or via Internet Explorer. You can access the Merchant Service Center via other existing browsers that do function correctly until you problem with Internet Explorer is resolved. If you need information on manually entering payments into your QuickBooks software, click here.
NOTE: If you're experiencing a problem with QuickBooks 2012 (or older) and the Internet Explorer 9 (or newer) update has been installed, that version of the Internet Explorer update will need to be removed for merchant services to work properly. This is due to significant updates made to newer versions of Internet Explorer after the respective QuickBooks version was released. QuickBooks 2013 and newer versions have been specifically designed to be compatible with newer versions of Internet Explorer.
IMPORTANT: Internet Explorer updates must be removed from the View Installed Updates list located in the Programs and Features section of the Windows operating system. Attempting to install an older version of Internet Explorer over and existing newer version will results in an error. Internet Explorer should not be fully removed from a computer as it will cause problems with file navigation and access. For information on removing newer versions of the Internet Explorer, see the Troubleshooting issues section of the article, QuickBooks and the new Internet Explorer, 9 & up.
If you continue to have problems on various compatible systems and/or in various compatible network configurations that only affect your merchant services, there may be a problem with the merchant account. Please contact us at 800-558-9558 for further assistance.
NOTE: If problems occurs within QuickBooks with any web-based connections and are not limited to merchant services, the QuickBooks support team will need to be contacted at 888-320-7276 to resolve the QuickBooks connectivity issue.